Blanche E. James was a teacher in Eau Claire, Wisconsin. She was born about 1877. She taught in high schools during the 1900s and 1910s, and then became one of the original faculty members at the newly established Eau Claire State Normal School (later the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire), where she taught mathematics.
From The University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire: A History 1916-1976 (1976)
From Hilda R. Carter and John R. Jenswold (1976), The University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire: A History 1916-1976, University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire Foundation. 5:
- During the summer of 1916 President Schofield chose a faculty of twenty persons, most of whom had previous experience in public schools. ... Mr. Brewer and seven of the first faculty stayed at Eau Claire for many years: ... Blanche James, instructor in mathematics; ...
From Hilda R. Carter and John R. Jenswold (1976), The University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire: A History 1916-1976, University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire Foundation. 30:
- Blanche James, who taught mathematics, was a native of Eau Claire with a romantic family history. Her grandfather was the renowned English novelist C.P.R. James [sic], who was British consul at Norfolk and Richmond, Virginia, from 1852 to 1858. After James died in Venice, Italy, in 1860, his widow came to Eau Claire, Wisconsin, to make her home with a son, George W. James, who was a bookkeeper in the Daniel Shaw Lumber Company. Another son, Charles L. James, had found his way to Eau Claire, and he was the father of Blanche and her two sisters, known as "the James girls" and women of some distinction. Miss James had a master's degree from the University of Minnesota. Before Miss Miller's advent as first dean of women, Blanche James chaired a committee of the faculty whose responsibility was to find housing for students.
From Hilda R. Carter and John R. Jenswold (1976), The University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire: A History 1916-1976, University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire Foundation. 32:
- Students editing the Periscopes of the 1930s showed respect and affection for their mentors. Dedications of issues were to Laura Sutherland in 1930, B. W. Bridgman in 1931, George Simpson in 1932, and Hilda Belle Oxby in 1934, and in 1936, on the twentieth anniversary of the founding of the school, the dedication was to the eight original faculty members still at the school: Mr. Schofield, Mr. Brewer, Mr. Fox, Mr. Bridgman, Mr. Simpson, Miss Thomas, Miss Oxby, and Miss James.